Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Veggie Wraps with Peanut Sauce


Veggie Wraps with Peanut Sauce

My family loves this meal! Joshua really enjoys creating his own masterpiece.

a package of round rice papers 
carrots
green, red, yellow peppers
cucumbers
lettuce
broccoli
cauliflower 
tomatoes
sprouts
1 package of rice noodles

These are just suggestions, so you can choose whatever veggies you want.
When I cut the carrots, cucumbers, and peppers I cut them very thin.
Prepare rice noodles just like spaghetti noodles they do not take long to cook. Rinse with warm water. 
When you sit down to eat these you will want to have 2 pie plates with warm water in them on the table. Place a rice paper in the water until it becomes transparent and pliable; this does not take very long. When you are taking them out of the water be careful and use both hands because they can tear easily. Put a line of peanut sauce on the wrap, place the rice noodles on top of the sauce then add your veggies, then wrap it and eat. Enjoy!  

Peanut Sauce
I personally could eat a spoon of this sauce by itself because it's so yummy! 
It is a little spicy so you might want to start out with half of the curry paste 
and add a little at a time until you find the right heat for you or your family.

1 can of coconut milk (light) 14 oz
2 tbsp. curry paste
1/4 c. fish sauce (trust me it is good) 
I would not drink the fish sauce but it is good in this.
3 tbsp. palm sugar, I used brown sugar as a substitute
1 c. ground roasted peanuts (pure peanut butter)

Combine all of these ingredients into a sauce pan and simmer for 15 min. 

I noticed when I made this it had a lot of oil on the top from the coconut milk.
I was able to take some off, and it was still wonderful even without all of the fat. 

You can even add shredded chicken to this recipe,
but we like the idea of just veggies.
The idea for the wraps and peanut sauce recipe came from Jodi a friend, thank you Jodi and Daniel.

5 comments:

  1. You're so welcome! I'm glad you were able to enjoy it! I've enjoyed several of your recipes from here, thanks for sharing too!

    I've noticed that I don't get as much separation in the peanut sauce if I make sure to heat it slowly and don't let it get hot enough to boil. (I once cooked it too quickly and it got too hot and that changed the whole consistency! Not sure if that's what happened with your sauce, but it definitely happened to me!) :-)

    Thanks for the other fun veggie ideas! We do like adding chicken, and also a little fresh basil and/or mint, sometimes cabbage, plus rice noodles! Mmmm, I may have to make salad rolls now this week! :-)

    (And LOVE your photo!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness I forgot rice noodles. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice - although many vegetarians wouldn't use the fish sauce. You might be interested in this post I did on fish sauce. http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2012/03/fish-sauce.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Carole, I did not think of that, you can tell I am not a vegetarian. I will look at that post thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete