Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Chicken and Dumpling soup


I must apologize for being absent for so long, but today I have been inspired by the movie Julie and Julia. If you have not seen it you must, it is a great movie.

I am still feeling very nauseous, but I still must cook for my family, so tonight I am cooking Chicken and Dumpling soup. I am not sure why because it's 5:30 in the evening and it's 95 degrees outside. I guess we can eat it under a ceiling fan!

I know I have mentioned my favorite food website before but I am going to do it again because I love it so much. I found this recipe on her site and everyone that tastes it loves it, and comes back for more. The site is Mel's Kitchen Cafe. If you have not yet signed up to get her recipes, do it, you will fall in love with them.

Chicken and Dumpling Soup

4 cups chicken broth
4 cups water
For West Africa missionaries:
I use 8 cups water and 2 Maggie chicken cubes
2-3 chicken breast
(about 1 1/2 pounds)
I use about 1 1/2 of already cooked shredded chicken
1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
2 lrg. carrots, chopped
1 onion, chopped
I use 4 small onions
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. pepper

Dumplings:
1 cup flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp dried thyme, or sage
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1 tbsp. vegetable oil, or canola oil

If you do not know how to make sour cream it is simple, for every 1 cup of full cream you add 1 tbsp. of white vinegar and stir and it will thicken just like sour cream. The only thing is, you must use full cream not half cream.

In a large pot (I use a big spaghetti pot), boil the chicken broth, water, and chicken breast until the chicken is cooked through and tender (about 15 min). Remove the chicken from the pot, reserving the broth in the pot, and shred the chicken with two forks. Set the chicken aside and keep the broth warm on the stove.

While the chicken is boiling, heat 1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. When the oil is hot, add the onions and carrots. Saute for about 6-7 min until the vegetables are tender. Add the vegetables to the hot broth in the pot after the chicken has been removed. Add salt, thyme, and pepper to the vegetable/broth mixture and stir to combine. Heat the soup to a simmer.
In a small bowl, blend 1/2 cup cold water and 1/4 cup flour with a wire whisk until smooth. Whisking vigorously, slowly add the flour mixture into the hot vegetables and broth and whisk until well combined, and add your chicken also.
For the dumplings: in a medium bowl stir together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine sour cream, milk, and oil. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined (don't over mix, it is okay if there are a few dry spots of flour here and there)
Heat the soup to a boil and drop tsp. amounts (the dumplings should be fairly small, they'll expand while cooking) of dumpling dough into the boiling soup covering the entire surface of the soup (don't make more than one layer of dumplings). Reduce the heat to simmering, cover and let the dumplings cook for 15 minutes. DO NOT LIFT THE LID, YOU WILL BE TEMPTED TO BUT DON'T.
After they are fully cooked 15 min later remove the lid and gently stir so the dumplings will break apart.
Serve immediately, and enjoy a delicious from-scratch meal. You are going to love it!


2 comments:

  1. So glad you love this one, Tiffany! Sorry you still aren't feeling great, you poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry Mel, I never responded to this. I am doing so much better I have been cooking more now. My family and I will be coming to the States in March and I can not wait to do cooking with so many options.

    ReplyDelete